The Power of the Dog - Cumberbatch Shines In A Fine Oscar Contender

The Power of the Dog 


"The Power of the Dog" isn't an incredible feat. I don't find it quite the Academy Award Winner people are saying, but it's certainly an interesting film. There are certain sections of the film that I think are nominee-worthy. I cannot get excited to root for the film overall. Cumberbatch certainly gives a career-defining performance. Something about this character made him very interesting to explore. Greenwood's score is the other incredible thing about the movie. Like all his work, it has a very distinct style I loved. Campion's directing is beautiful. Something about it was very hypnotic. It's not consistently jaw-dropping, but Campion will drop in this gorgeous wide shot that left me floored. 


The pace is slow, and that's been a source of criticism from people. The movie does linger, and for people who aren't deep into more arthouse films, this won't click with them. As someone who can often tango with arthouse films, I could stand the pace even though I think Campion could have picked it up a bit or even cut a few things out. Overall though, I think the pacing can help, even if it isn't consistent.


Cumberbatch is the obvious standout of the cast. Kodi-Smit Mcphee gave a pretty good performance, as did Jesse Plemmons. However, Kristen Dunst graded on me. I haven't seen a movie of her's where I thought she was that good. At the start, I was impressed by her performance. Yet, the constant note she plays annoyed the crap out of me. I honestly get why Cumberbatch is annoyed by her so much. I can say I wasn't a fan of her performance. She graded on me in just about every scene.


I don't think "Power of the Dog" is close to being the best film of the year. It has interesting themes, ideas, and a solid performance by Cumberbatch, who is Oscar-worthy here. Dunst annoys me; the pace can be a bit much, and note all of the themes feel like they come together, but I found it to be a fascinating film and one that left me thinking once the movie was over. Greenwood and Campion both deserve credit for their incredible work. The score is beautiful, and the directing is meticulous. I think "The Power of the Dog" is worth a watch.


Recommend

7/10


- Noah Newcomb


The Power of the Dog Trailer




Comments