King Richard - A Feel Good Sports Film Well Worth A Watch

 King Richard


"King Richard" caught me off guard in a way I wasn't expecting. I expected this to be a good film, but it ended up being a very heartfelt story with a lot of passion behind it that effortlessly brought me on board. The love you can feel between his family felt very refreshing. They're all well-acted, but you've got to highlight the main three here. Will Smith as Richard Williams was excellent. He's going for that Oscar gold and might get it. The thought process of a father wanting his two girls to be the best there is was compelling. In the sport I am in, I've seen some weird fathers of young kids, so how does this movie plan on portraying this important father in the world of sports. I found myself pleased with the way they wrote Richard. There are mistakes he makes along the way, I liked that, but I thought the writers wrote him in the best way possible. They mainly showed the good of this man. His relationship with Serrina and Venus makes for a beautiful core of the film. The way he motivates these two girls and their path to becoming the greatest was incredible to watch.  <i>King Richard</i> solidly delivers a great sports film that hits the emotional beats it needs to while also not being too predictable like others might. All the performances are great, and I wouldn't mind if Will Smith wins. Over thirty years in the game, and I think he's deserved some recognition, particularly for this performance. I do have to say, Jon Bernthal was the standout. He's become one of my favorite actors, and he always makes the most out of supporting roles. Give this movie a shot if you haven't; it's well worth a watch.


Solid Recommend

8/10


- Noah Newcomb



King Richard Trailer




Comments