West Side Story - Speilberg Shows He Can Still Be A Master Of Filmmaking

West Side Story (2021)


I'll admit that I thought cinema blew past Speilberg. He hasn't made a movie that I can completely get behind since Lincoln. Sure, he's had some decent films. The Adventures of Tintin and Ready Player One aren't bad movies, but they are so far off from Speilberg's past greatness that it's depressing. West Side Story didn't feel like it was going to be a return for him, and yet that's what it is. Speilberg's directing is such an incredible return to form; while still feeling unique to the story he's telling. I haven't reviewed this movie yet, but I saw In The Heights, and comparing those two is quite an interesting comparison. The film is a delightful return to twentieth-century musicals that I prefer much more than the Lin-Manuel Miranda style of musicals. Speilberg's desire to return to that classic style is admirable and took a bit to get used to, but when it found its footing, this movie soars to the heights of Speilberg's peak days. This man is truly capable of being a master of his craft, and West Side Story is filled with that Speilberg. His directing is a perfect blend of epic and emotional, and few directors possess that blend. He paints these two opposing sides differently than what we usually see in today's films. Speilberg shows both sides equally, in my opinion. However, he shows that this fight between the two sides isn't the point. Neither of them looks that good once the movie reaches its conclusion.


I thoroughly enjoyed all the musical numbers. Mainly because of how believable these actors are in their emotions. I've already said it before, but I prefer this classical way of doing musicals more. I found myself connecting with these songs much more than with past musicals. All the factors behind the musical numbers clicked for me. The actors, my investment in the characters, Speilberg's magnificent staging of the songs, and these songs are freaking incredible!


I doubt I would have enjoyed this movie nearly as much as I did if it were not for Rachel Zegler as Maria. She gave one of the top performances of the year. You buy every emotion she gives and does a great job at letting you know what she's thinking without her having to say anything. Say what you will about Ansel Elgort, but he certainly gave a good performance. I bought into their romance, and Speilberg does an excellent job at bringing such magic into their relationship. I'm not a big romance fan in movies, but this is an exception. 


Only Speilberg could capture the type of magic West Side Story has. He fills you with an overwhelming collection of beautiful emotions spanning the whole spectrum from joy to grief. The relationship at the core of the movie; is beautifully executed. Come Oscar time; I will be rooting for Zegler to take the Oscar for this performance. Her chemistry with Elgort is fantastic. I chose not to watch the original film, and I'm glad I didn't. The story felt entirely fresh to me, and I get why this is such a classic. Speilberg has adapted this story for a new generation. He injects so much beauty and care into this story that I haven't felt from a Speilberg film in some time. West Side Story is one of my favorite films from Speilberg, and I hope more great Speilberg is to come. Sure there are minor issues, but they certainly didn't majorly damage the film. West Side Story easily stands as one of, if not my favorite musical.


Strong Recommend

9/10


- Noah Newcomb


West Side Story (2021) Trailer




Comments