tick, tick... BOOM! - Garfield's Incredible Performance Holds Together A Messy Debut

tick, tick... BOOM!


 <i>tick, tick... BOOM!<i> is a decent debut from Lin-Manuel Miranda. I'm not a big fan of his musicals, even though I understand why people love his style so much. I'm not a fan of how he's changed the musical genre. It's one of the things that made <i>West Side Story<i> so much fun. It was a return to the type of musicals I like. Miranda's work is often fine. <i>tick, tick... BOOM!<i> fits in nicely along those lines. Andrew Garfield elevates the movie with an incredible performance, which has gotten some well-deserved attention. He always delivers interesting performances, and I'd consider this one of his best. He holds this movie together. Miranda's directing is undoubtedly interesting. It swings big and can hit its mark but can also really miss. The editing back and forth between this performance in his head; and the actual story is the prime example. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it annoys the crap out of me like most of Miranda's work. The message of the movie also felt scattered.  Larson has so many things happening in his life that the messy style can work in the movie's favor but reduces the power of the relationships. As far as the musical numbers go, they were fine. Forgettable. I don't remember any of the actual songs when I know I'll remember <i>West Side Story's<i>  for years to come. Miranda's style of music is not what I enjoy. I also think the staging can be a little ridiculous. I want to go back to the strongest part of the movie, and that's Garfield. Miranda's work can be good and bad, but Garfield is the constant thing in the movie that works. People will love this a lot more than I do, but I can't say I love this movie. It's got some things that work, but the flaws are apparent. Fan of Miranda's work will certainly enjoy this. I can certainly appreciate the apparent passion that he put behind this.


Weak Recommend

6/10


- Noah Newcomb


tick, tick... BOOM! Trailer




Comments