Spider-Man: No Way Home - Marvel Ends Off With Their Best in 2021 (No Spoilers)

Spider-Man: No Way Home


I'll do my best to keep this spoiler-free despite some great twists and turns this movie takes. Spider-Man: No Way Home is a comic book film in its purest form. Most of the MCU's output this year has not clicked with me, but I'm glad to say that they've ended off 2021 with their best film this year. I was never on board with the No Way Home hype. I could never get anyone to explain to me what about this got them so excited besides the fact that "old characters were coming back." Now am I onboard with old characters that I love and grew up watching returning? Absolutely! Since I could walk, I've always been a Spider-Man fan. I enjoy the movies, good or bad. I've spent hours watching old and new Spider-Man shows and reading Spider-Man comics. I love this character and universe. I was so pleased to find No Way Home to be a pure comic book film made by people who love Spider-Man and the world in which he exists. The little pieces of fan service and easter eggs (that you know will be here) were all done well. And when you look at fan service from the past, it's often been disastrous. Just look at the last Star Wars trilogy. No Way Home is one of the best examples of how to do fan service. Now, does the idea or concept of fan service always sit well with me? Not always. I hope to see less fan service and more original ideas. But does fan service work when used well and correctly? Absolutely and No Way Home is by far one of the best films when it comes to handling nostalgia. The fan service serves to the actual story of this iteration of Peter Parker, and it is always there to benefit Peter's story. And because the fanservice is well-done, No Way Home serves some of the most thrilling and emotional scenes this year. I felt such joy watching this movie even though it has apparent flaws. 

All the old returning villains are a ton of fun. They gave me the exact feeling of reading a comic book. There's a layer of camp to them that I enjoyed. Molina and Dafoe nailed their return as these characters. Dafoe ended up being the standout. Not only did I not expect him to be this creepy and menacing, but the relationship between him and Peter just caught me off guard. The action is much better than last time, and it feels like Watts found his voice with this film. It's fun seeing older villains return, but as I've said, they add to the story's themes like they need to. 

A couple of things did rub me the wrong way. Watts's directed his best-looking movie here, but there is an overuse of CGI and green screen here that was noticeable. It looked like Marvel cheaped out in a few scenes, but this never overly bothered me. The story can also get a little convoluted and bulky at times.

Despite some of these minor grievances, Spider-Man: No Way Home delivers in just about every way it should. The MCU has been pretty mediocre for me this year, but No Way Home shows what they do so well. It is easily one of their best films and one I can't wait to revisit. The story is an excellent example of fan service done right. It brings back beloved characters but keeps rooted in Peter's journey. I honestly was swept off my feet in moments with a great sense of joy. Especially if you're a Spider-Man fan like myself, this movie is going to hit that sweet spot. Perfect? No, but it's one of the most enjoyable films I've seen all year.

Solid Recommend
8/10

- Noah Newcomb




Comments