No Country For Old Men - Let's Talk About It Again

     So I looked back at some of my older reviews. I haven't posted on here as frequently as I used to as I normally do most of my reviews on Letterboxd. Anyway, I looked back at my older reviews and I didn't like it. I didn't like my review for Mad Max Fury Road either. I am not sure if there are other reviews I have put on here that I don't like. I would like to think my reviews have improved greatly since my first few reviews on here. I'm going to re-review some of these movies so that they will be better and maybe some of my thoughts on the films have changed. So I am going to start out with No Country For Old Men


    When I wrote my first review for No Country For Old Men I said it was my fourth favorite film of all time. That is certainly not true anymore. No Country For Old Men is still a movie I really like. It isn't five stars for me anymore as I have become much more strict on what I give five stars, however. Everything that I like about the film still holds up. 


    Javier Bardem's performance is still giving one of my all-time favorite performances. Every scene he's in is fantastic. Something I have picked up on more through multiple viewings is the philosophies of each of the three characters. Anton's philosophy is the one I like to pick apart the most. We don't know much about either of these characters but we get what motivates them and their philosophies which the only example of something like that I can think of is 12 Angry Men. Josh Brolin's performance I found to be highly underrated. The Coens make you what to see this guy make it out alive though there is always a thought in the back of your head, doubting if he'll get out. Brolin really comes off capable and you believe that he knows all these tricks to get out of here. I thought Tommy Lee Jones gave a pretty heartfelt performance. I mean he's Tommy Lee Jones so it isn't incredibly heartfelt but it is still an excellent performance. Also, Woody Harrelson isn't in this as much as I thought he would. 


    The Coens are great tension builders and I think that is if full force in this film. I think the lack of score helps quite a bit. It feels so grounded which helps you be absorbed in the film. Every time Anton comes on screen I'm on the edge of my seat. I think The Gas Station scene is a prime example of this. It has to be one of my favorite scenes of all time. It's full of great tension and Anton's best scene in the film. One of the things that hold people back from liking the film is the ending. I won't say what the ending is but I will say that it isn't for everyone. It isn't like any ending I've seen that's for sure. I think that is why I put No Country For Old Men above so many other films. It's a credit to Cormac Mcarthy who wrote a great book that in many cases, the Coens took straight-up lines from. Mcarthy has always been an author people said is hard to adapt and yet the Coen make it look effortless.  The Coens' films always have great cinematography in their films and No Country For Old Men has some of their bests. Some shots left me stunned.


    No Country For Old Men may not by my favorite film ever like it once was but its still an incredible piece of film.  Great acting, cinematography, and tension building are all here. I want to say again, Javier Bardem is incredible in this film. I would recommend this to someone just to see him in it he is that good. It may not be for everyone but its definitely one that people need to see. There is a lot for aspiring filmmakers like myself, that they can learn from and appreciate. When looking at how the 21st century looks so far for films this is a standout for me. So yeah, it's a strong recommendation for sure. 





Comments