My Thoughts On An Imperator Furiosa Prequel



My Thoughts On An Imperator Furiosa Prequel

By: Noah Newcomb

Possible Spoilers For Mad Max: Fury Road         

        I think we can all agree that Charlize Theron's character: Imperator Furiosa was one of the best parts of Mad Max: Fury Road. Furisoa kicked tail in Fury Road and was possibly even cooler than Max, and Charlize Theron did a fantastic job! When looking back at the decade and thinking about kick-tail women, Furiosa stands perhaps as one of the best and most inspiring women in cinema. Charlize Theron has really shaped out to be a great action star. With Atomic Blonde, the Fast and Furious franchise, and of course, Mad Max: Fury Road. Theron has also performed in some dramatic work and done a great job like The Road based on Cormac Mcarthy's novel and The Monster by Patty Jenkins. So a Furiosa prequel sounded like a really good idea. I had complete faith in director George Miller who will be directing and of course, Charlize Theron. Then they announced that Charlize Theron would not be starring in the prequel. What on earth?! I have a lot of problems with this news. On one hand, I get it. When they do prequels the lead is often recast to look younger. Then again, why a prequel. When has a prequel worked? There is really only one I can think of and that is the Andy Serkis Planet of the Apes Trilogy. If you guys can think of any others let me know. The prequel formula barely ever works so why would Miller go to that? If we want more Furiosa why not deal with the aftermath of Fury Road, give her just a solo movie that isn't a prequel, or even put her in Mad Max 5. She was a big enough hit that they could put her in there without people minding. One of my favorite things about Furiosa is that she has this mysterious past that we don't know about. KEEP THAT MYSTERY! Why would you take the mystery out of that character?! Also, a huge draw to the Furiosa character is Charlize Theron herself. If you recast you take out one of the things that people loved about the character. I just feel like there are other options to go and this is the wrong one. I don't think, however, this idea is all bad. I have complete faith in Miller and if he is cool with then I trust him. Would I prefer Charlize Theron to be starring in the film? Absolutely. Will I be there opening night if that movie is released? Absolutely. I do want to say, why not just make Mad Max 5? Whatever decision they take, at least I'll still have Theron's fantastic performance in Mad Max: Fury Road, one of my favorite movies of all time.



Comments