Mad Max: Fury Road - Hard To Believe THIS Is Coming From The Director Of Happy Feet And Babe 2



Mad Max: Fury Road

By: Noah Newcomb


        Since I recently did my No Country for Old Men review which I believe I stated was my fourth favorite movie of all time. I thought I would make my way up to my number one movie of all time. So since the last one was number four, I guess that leads me to my number third favorite movie of all time: Mad Max: Fury Road. Now I haven't seen the other three Mad Max films but I had heard Fury Road's reputation and was wanting to check it out. I asked my cousin, who had seen the Mad Max films, whether or not I had to see the other three. He said no so I checked it out, and it lives up to the hype. Mad Max: Fury Road is a high fueled, adrenaline rushing, action-packed ride. Now if you know the history of this film being made you'll know that this took a long time to even start being made and when it did it went through many problems in the making. Nothing seemed to go right. They had problems with finding a place to shoot. They were going to shoot in a desert area but then it rained. It hadn't rained in that desert in possibly a century, because of the rain green started showing and they couldn't shoot there. Then do to some political issues a country wouldn't let them shoot in there. The cast was tired and grumpy, not one thought this was going to work, but it did. Mad Max: Fury Road was a huge success. It was up for ten Oscars, won 6 of them, and was successful at the box office and I have to say I think George Miller deserves some massive credit here. 
        This is his baby. All of this comes from the mind of George Miller. Honestly, when it comes to highly imaginative directors you usually think of George Lucas, James Cameron, and Steven Speilberg. I think George Miller is right up there with great minds like those. Unfortunately, I don't think Miller is recognized as such even though he is. No one could come up with this world Miller has created. It's his Star Wars. This truly is something special.
        This is also a beautifully crafted film. Every frame is eye candy. The detail in each one of these characters is jaw-dropping. If I were to go on about the detail in this film you'd probably be reading this review for hours. I should probably bring up the action, the best thing about Fury Road! I mean it really incredible. The film really is a two-hour action scene. I think the longest piece of quiet we get might be five minutes. Each action scene outdoes the other. Miller was smart and saved the men on the swinging poles for last, a great flourish for the ending. There's actually very little CGI as well which makes you appreciate the action more. I forgot to bring up our two leads Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron. Now previously Mel Gibson played as Max and I haven't seen that version of this character so I can't say which is better. I think Hardy does a good job as Max. I think that if someone had a problem with Fury Road it would be that for a movie with Mad Max for the title Max plays a small role in this movie. Honestly, If the title didn't have his name on it you'll think Charlize Theron was the main character. She gets the winning blow and has the most transformation through the film (not saying much). I understand for fans of the previous films this could pose a problem for the movie but it doesn't really for me. I don't think there's much to say in the spoiler section so I won't go there.


Final Thoughts

        I've already said this is my third favorite movie and I think I've stated why. The BEST action movie I've seen. Amazing costume design and a solid cast. On paper, this shouldn't work. There are no character arcs, it's pretty much a two-hour-long action chase and yet it works brilliantly. Strongest of recommends.



        

Comments