Batman: Last Knight on Earth - Snyder and Capullo Do It Again



Batman: Last Knight on Earth

By: Noah Newcomb


        Batman: Last Knight on Earth was a comic I really wanted to get to. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo are my favorite comic book duo. Together they've made some of my favorite comic books of all time. Batman: Death of the Family, Court of Owls, and Batman: Cold Days. So when I heard that my favorite comic duo was back I was instantly excited. It took me a while to get it but I finally did and it didn't disappoint! Snyder did it again and delivered one of my favorite Batman stories. I don't think it's flawless, however, and I'll get to that. I always enjoy it when crazy things happen in comics. The Metal series is one of my favorites because of how crazy it is. THIS IS WHY I LOVE COMICS!!! Snyder did a great job of coming up with this post-apocalyptic-Mad Max world. Snyder continues to generate good ideas. Capullo does some fantastic art that is eye candy in every frame. The character design of these even more hardened characters is always enjoyable to see. You can not wait to see a new character appear looking hardened and different. I'd recommend this comic to any Batman fan. Every frame is a fantastic sight to see. I have to say though I'm not sure what's next for the Batman universe. 

SPOILERS!!!

        My biggest complaint about Batman: Last Knight On Earth is the antagonist. Being past the spoiler wall the antagonist is the original Batman before Batman: Endgame I believe. The original Batman created a device to spawn a Batman which is the Batman we follow throughout this story. The problem I have with this is first off, how is going to feel going back reading the adventures with the original Batman, knowing he is going to turn evil. Secondly and finally, I don't believe this Batman would take this turn. I guess it shows anyone can be corrupt, even Batman. I don't dislike it, I just have mixed feelings on it.  I like the subplot on Joker wanting to be the next Robin, not sure how I feel about him being a good guy, however. I like the turns these characters take especially with Dick Grayson being part of the Court of Owls.

Final Thoughts

        Overall I think this is a fantastic comic. It has its flaws but overall it's a lot of fun to read. It has great storytelling and art, with great concept design. Batman's my favorite superhero and this Snyder proves that he is time and time again. I definitely recommend any DC comic fans to check this out. I have a feeling it will be a key storyline in the future of DC.





Comments